Quote of the Month

"It is easier to build a strong child than to repair broken men."

Fredrick Douglas



































































Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Value of Play!!

After a great training session last weekend, I came away with some fresh ideas and information regarding the value of play! It has been said that "play is the work of children" and each and everyday I see this to be true in your kids. It's definitely a job they LOVE and one through which they learn and experience their world. An educator at heart, I have been focused on teaching your children the theme of the week through projects, experiments, songs, stories, etc, mostly more structured activities which are all proven and common methods of teaching this age group. However, this week I have challenged myself to let them learn and experience being "Down on the Farm" mostly through play. I gave them the tools and materials, set up their play, allowed for a large chunk of time to be dedicated to soley play and sat back and watched! They became the farmers plowing the fields, the animals mooing and baaing and eagerly pretended to feed and water the stuffed farm animals. We also played a bit with food, making a pasture out of graham crackers decorated with green frosting, plain graham crackers for a fence and then added the animals inside. All of this is truly not difficult work for them, yet I know they are learning through this unrestrained PLAY! Here is a great article on the value of play! http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleID=240
ps. If anyone knows how to help me get rid of the huge, devoid space at the top of my blog, let me know! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment